Monday, October 12, 2009

Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us - Talking Points 4

"The newer cartoons -like Mulan, Aladdin, and Pocahontas - are subtler and take more sophistication to see through."

The context of this quote is that it is easier to spot racism, sexism, and stereotypes in older cartoons, movies, and stories than newer ones. I agree that this is definitely the case, at least in regards to children s entertainment. The fact is that these negative messages have not been taken out or "toned down" - they've just been presented in a more indirect, secretive way.

"Both young women wanted the race of the actors changed, but they didn't challenge the class or underlying gender equalities that also characterize the lives of Cinderella, Ariel the Mermaid, and Snow White."

I chose this quote for a couple of different reasons. First off, it's a great way to back up the argument that there is so much wrong with Disney movies/popular childrens movies. There aren't just issues regarding race, there is sexism, class separation, stereotyping, and violence. As children, we certainly don't catch on to these things the way we would if we watched a film like this today, but that doesn't change the fact that these are the things we were observing/forming opinions about at a young, impressionable age. Another reason that I chose it is because it really illustrates the fact that this is no easy fix. Disney can't put out one movie that features a lead African American princess and pretend that they've shed a new positive light on our culture.

"I realized these problems weren't just in cartoons. They were in everything - every magazine I picked up, every television show I watched, every billboard I passed by on the street."

This quote might as well have come from me. Before taking this course as well as my Perspectives on Africa class, I was a very passive movie go-er/consumer. I never picked up on any of these subtle yet heavy suggestions by the media. It wasn't until we started discussing things like this in my classes that I really became an active viewer and started to really see all of these things play out in my day to day life.

No comments:

Post a Comment