Tuesday, September 22, 2009

McIntosh Talking Points

The article I read was "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" by Peggy McIntosh. At first I was slightly off-put by the title; I was nervous that it would be another article like Delpit's that would be difficult to read, and that it would make me feel uncomfortable or guilty. However, once I started reading it I realized that I need to keep an open mind and see that I'm not being singled out and blamed for anything, I need to acknowledge these privileges in order to move forward and have that uncomfortable discussion. Some of the quotes that I found most interesting were:

"Many, perhaps most, of our white students in the United States think that racism doesn't affect them because they are not people of color; they do not see "whiteness" as a racial identity".

It is true that I've never really thought about my racial identity as "white". I've never had to feel like I was being judged based on the color of my skin, and it's unnerving to think about those that have been.

"Keeping most people unaware that freedom of confident action is there for just a small number of people props up those in power and serves to keep power in the hands of the same groups that have most of it already".

To me what this quote is saying that until the people that do have privileges recognize this, we cannot work together to end racism.

"I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider".

This is one of the privileges McIntosh writes about. It made me think about how many rights that I take for granted; I don't have to worry about voicing my political opinions and having people tell me I only think that because of my race, or that I'm "unamerican".

2 comments:

  1. I didn't write about McIntosh, but I agree with what you've said in this entry, especially regarding the second quote. Day to day, people of color are probably reminded that they are "black." However, it is very rare for me to have a moment where I say to myself "Oh that's right; I'm white." It really is interesting to think about. That probably goes the same way for all of the SCWAAMP qualities. For example, an able-bodied person doesn't remind themselves every day that they are able-bodied. However, someone with a disability is probably reminded of it continuously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talk about your anxieties at the beginning of your post, Megan. Keep writing about this along with your quotes. It helps you process you new thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete